Main courses can certainly be light, but sometimes you need a hearty dish that will really stick to your ribs like this Macadamia Crusted Tofu. Crunchy and nutritious macadamia nuts encrust marinated tofu without any grains or gluten, but plenty of flavor and protein. Serve it alongside some simple steamed greens or a bed of rice for a perfect, satisfying meal.
For the Tofu:
- 450g extra firm tofu
- 1 talbespoon water
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 recipe creamy tahini marinade (recipe below)
For the Creamy Tahini Marinade:
- 3/4 cup filtered water
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons tahini or other nut butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced, or ginger, peeled and minced
- a pinch of cayenne
For the Crust:
- 1/2 cup macadamias, roasted no salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut, shredded & toasted
- 1 teaspoon cilantro, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin, toasted
- 1/4teapoon chilli powder
- a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- sea salt to taste
- Place all marinade ingredients in a small bowl and whisk well.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Place soy sauce and water in a 9×13 -inch casserole dish, add tofu cuttlets and allow to sit for 5 minutes before flipping. Let sit for another 5 minutes. Prepare the creamy tahini marinade and pour or spread over tofu cutlets. Let sit for at least 20 minutes. Cutlets can also be marinated the day before the dish is prepared. Place dish in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- While tofu is marinating and baking, place crust ingredients in food processor and process until chopped fine.
- Remove tofu from oven, cover liberally with crust mixture, return to ove and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from oven and serve while hot.